Easter in the Dominican Republic

Remembering my childhood I have all these great,bright and joy filled Easter week as we call it Semana Santa. We used to wake up really early to prepare all the food for the same day or the next day depending if we were going to the beach, go the river (El Rio) or staying at home. Our thing was spending it in family, eating and celebrating and often times praying through the day just to give thanks! Oh those were good old times…

16 Comments

1. It sounds like you really go all out for Easter which is lovely. As a family (In the UK) we always spend Easter Sunday together, usually enjoying roast lamb and all the yummy trimmings and of course an Easter hunt x

1. Ohhh sounds amazing! We usually eat A LOT in company with family. Its crazy. πŸ˜ƒ

1. Happy Easter to you and yours! 🐰

2. Helen says:

Sounds fun! What kinds of food do you prepare for easter?

1. This year I didn’t prepare any Easter food. Had to work all day

1. Helen says:

😦 oh no that makes me sad. Well I hope you came home to lots of yummy easter food instead!

2. We didn’t cook any easter food at all. But we had great family time.

3. Helen says:

that’s good!

3. Loren says:

It all sounds like a busy week! I’ve never eaten habichuelas con dulce but it sounds delicious, I’ll have to try it out. Likewise in Colombia, Holy Week and Pascua is full of food, events and fun. In Canada though it’s more subdued, but still with lots of food!

Thanks for sharing how you celebrate Pascua in the Dominican Republic, I enjoyed reading about it!

Loren | plaidandsugar.com

1. Thank you Loren🌸 I love Semana Santa! When we go and live aboard it’s always way different than we used to celebrate a holiday. Really love and appreciate my culture🌴

4. Maria says:

Sounds like a great week with delicious food! And most importantly some great family time!!

1. Family time is definitely it!

5. Didi says:

Everything sounds really interesting, but I’m most interested in food (I love to eat) I would love to try that food 😁😁😁😁😁

1. Yum! I’m a food kinda person too, I feel ya